University of Fort Hare Details

By |

University of Fort Hare Details

University of Fort Hare Details

Contact Us:

Alice Campus
     Address: Ring Road, Alice, 5700
     Phone: 040 602 2011
Bhisho Campus
     Address: Independance Avenue, Bhisho, King Williams Town
     Phone: 040 608 3407
East London
    Address: 50 Church Street
     Phone: 043 704 7000

University of Fort Hare

The University of Fort Hare is a public university in Alice, Eastern Cape, South Africa.
It was a key institution of higher education for black Africans from 1916 to 1959. It offered a Western-style academic education to students from across sub-Saharan Africa, creating a black African elite. Fort Hare alumni were part of many subsequent independence movements and governments of newly independent African countries.
In 1959, the university was subsumed by the apartheid system, but it is now part of South Africa’s post-apartheid public higher education system. It is known for its notable alumni, which include several heads of state and Nobel prize winners.

History:

“Union Hall” at the University of Fort Hare.

Originally, Fort Hare was a British fort in the wars between British settlers and the Xhosa of the 19th century. Some of the ruins of the fort are still visible today, as well as graves of some of the British soldiers who died while on duty there.
During the 1830s, the Lovedale Missionary Institute was built near Fort Hare.James Stewart, one of its missionary principals, suggested in 1878 that an institution for higher education of black students needed to be created. However, he did not live to see his idea put into operation when, in 1916, Fort Hare was established with Alexander Kerr as its first principal. D.D.T Jabavu was its first black staff member who lectured in Latin and black languages. In accord with its Christian principles, fees were low and heavily subsidised. Several scholarships were also available for indigent students.