University Of Cape Town For International Students
Who we are
The University of Cape Town (UCT) is South Africa’s oldest university. Established in 1829, it has maintained a proud tradition of academic excellence, which today sees it ranked among the world’s leading teaching and research institutes.Renowned for its striking location at the foot of Table Mountain, UCT is a microcosm of the city in its title. It is home to a vibrant, cosmopolitan community of over 27 000 students and 5 000 staff members from over 100 countries in Africa and abroad.UCT is the only African university consistently ranked amongst the top universities in the world by three ranking systems (Times Higher Education, Quacquarelli Symonds and Shanghai Jiao Tong).
Cape Town – a choice destination
UCT is situated in one of the world’s top tourist destinations. Located at the southernmost tip of Africa, the Mother City (as it is affectionately called), has received countless awards and accolades over the years as one of the world’s most beautiful and most loved cities. The city is overlooked by the majestic Table Mountain (one of the seven natural wonders of the world) and surrounded by a string of beaches washed by the Atlantic and Indian oceans.
Cape Town is one of the world’s most beautiful and loved destinations.
Cape Town has a great deal to offer visitors. Beyond its natural beauty, which is breathtaking, it is a hub of arts and culture, located in a unique biodiversity hotspot and home to award-winning wine estates and top restaurants.The cost of living in Cape Town is much more affordable than most cities in the US, Europe and Australia. As one of South Africa’s largest cities, Cape Town offers a diverse culture and wide range of activities for its visitors and residents. Public transport is available in Cape Town and UCT students also have access to a university shuttle service that runs between all residences and university campuses.For more information on Cape Town, visit www.capetown.travel
7 reasons to study at UCT
Wide range of study options UCT offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses for students interested in doing their full undergraduate or postgraduate degree. Our Graduate School of Business is internationally respected, and offers the only full-time African MBA ranked in the top 100 by the Financial Times. We also offer a dynamic Semester Study Abroad programme:
- Find out more about UCT’s Semester Study Abroad programme
- View UCT’s prospectus for undergraduate studies
- View UCT’s prospectus for postgraduate studies
- Consider an MBA at UCT’s Graduate School of Business
Excellent student support
UCT works hard to make you feel at home and supports you through your studies. The International Academic Programmes Office (IAPO) is the hub for internationalisation at UCT. We are here to help you every step of the way and do what we can to make sure your Cape Town experience is memorable for all the right reasons. Our many services include:
- Advice on study visa application and immigration issues.
- More information on study programmes at UCT.
- Advice and assistance with finding short and long term accommodation near campus. (We offer on-campus accommodation and also assist students who are living off-campus to arrange their housing.)
- Orientation programmes for incoming students, and other social gatherings throughout the year to keep you connected.
- In short, we aim to offer you a total support structure while you are away from home.