University Of Cape Town Faculty Of Law
We, the staff and students of the Faculty of Law of the University of Cape Town, recognise that we are a community of scholars, striving for excellence in all that we do. We are conscious of the fact that we are part of broader South African society, and also the African and international academic community.
We acknowledge the role played by the law in creating a society that was characterised by oppression and remains deeply divided by inequality. We commit ourselves to the following goals:
- teaching and research which is of the highest quality
- developing all staff and students to their fullest potential
- promoting an institutional culture founded on mutual tolerance, respect, understanding, integrity and openness – one which values our common humanity and which celebrates and promotes diversity.
In the pursuit of all these goals we hope to contribute to redressing the inequality and disparity that continues to exist within South African society.
We recognise that the realisation of these goals requires:
- Scholarship that is critical and compassionate, and which explores the potential of the law as a means to achieving justice for all;
- Leadership that is effective and promotes the values of the faculty;
- Accountable, inclusive and transparent decision-making in which staff and students are given the opportunity for effective participation;
- Open and critical debate that protects and promotes academic freedom and university autonomy;
- Provision to staff and students of opportunities and resources necessary for their optimal development.
We will strive to live these values and achieve these goals in our daily activities and exchanges with one another.
Director: Gail Kemp | BA LLB, Cape Town, Attorney of the High Court
Training Coordinator and Administrative Assistant: Zulpha Anthony
Secretary: Dawn Arendse
Tel: 021 650 4481
Fax: 021 650 4484
Further information about the School for Legal Practice may be obtained from the Faculty Office .
UCT Courses Law Undergraduate And Postgraduate