The Faculty of Education is based at CPUT’s Mowbray and Wellington campuses. The main business is teacher training. Most of the students are in early training or preparing to become teachers as part of a four-year Bachelor of Education course.
The rest of the academic services cater to Postgraduate Certificates in Teaching (for those wishing to pursue a teaching career after obtaining a recognized qualification in another field). Degree) A prospective student who has qualifications and experience in the field of education, a postgraduate diploma in the field of education, an advanced certificate in the field of education, as well as an honors degree, master’s degree, or doctorate degree. These degrees are also listed in their program mix and study guides.
Their faculty is the Western Cape’s largest teacher training institution and attracts students from all over the country. The Mowbray campus teaches in English, while the Wellington campus offers undergraduate courses in Afrikaans.
Department of Senior and Further Education & Training Phase studies
The Senior and Further Education departments at the Mowbray and Wellington campuses provide initial preparation for advanced (grades 8-9) and FET (grades 10-12) teachers. The language of instruction at the Mowbray campus is English and the language of instruction at the Wellington campus is Afrikaans.
Senior Phase B.Ed and FET Instruction are Level 7 qualifications primarily intended to provide teachers with the knowledge, skills, and values necessary for their professional practice. The program structure of the qualification provides preparation for an advanced phase in year 1 and her second year, which then leads to preparation for a further training phase in year 3 and her fourth year.
Diplomas and Degrees
FURTHER EDUCATION AND TRAINING (FET)
- NPDE: national professional diploma in Education: fet
- PGCE: further education and training
- BEd: senior phase & fet teaching
GENERAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING (GET)
- ACE: (specialization) barriers to learning – course discontinued as of 2016
- ACE: multi-grade / multi-age teaching
- BEd: foundation phase teaching
- BEd: intermediate phase teaching
RESEARCH AND POSTGRADUATE STUDIES
- BEd Hons: teaching and learning
- BEd Hons: educational management and leadership
- MEd: Education
- DEd: Education
Departments and contacts
The Faculty of Education is divided into five academic departments:
- Department for Foundation Phase Studies
- Department for Intermediate Phase Studies
- Department of Senior and Further Education & Training Phase
- Department of Teacher Professional Development
- Department of Research and Postgraduate Studies
The Faculty’s strong research component is supported by the Department of Research and Postgraduate Studies.